Thursday, October 11, 2007

Value Investing Principle #1: Value Investors are Voracious Readers


"Formal education will make you a living;
self-education will make you a fortune."
- Jim Rohn


The more that you read,
the more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
the more places you'll go.
- Dr. Seuss


OK OK – I know what you're thinking – you've already read the post last month on the 'Secret to Becoming a Successful Investor' – and you get it - reading is important. I am repeating the message one last time for good reason: As you will come to discover (and I assure you I will point it out), the 'reading principle' is the essential ingredient and a pre-requisite for almost all other Value Investing principles. Choose to ignore it and one stands little chance of successfully adopting and implementing a Value Investing philosophy.

In studying the Value Investing discipline, I quickly recognized the one trait that all successful Value Investors have in common: they are all voracious readers. They are curious individuals by nature, and possess a keen desire to make sense and meaning of the world they live in. It seems that what they read is not confined to the areas of investment and financial markets, but rather spans a diverse range of subjects that include psychology, economics, and science.

Warren Buffett reads 5 newspapers a day, and devotes 75% - 80% of his day just reading. His partner, Charlie Munger observed:

"Warren is one of the best learning machines on this earth. The turtles who outrun the hares are learning machines. If you stop learning in this world, the world rushes right by you. Warren was lucky that he could still learn effectively and build his skills, even after he reached retirement age. Warren’s investing skills have markedly increased since he turned 65. Having watched the whole process with Warren, I can report that if he had stopped with what he knew at earlier points, the record would be a pale shadow of what it is."
On another occasion Munger declared:
"In my whole life, I have known no wise people (over a broad subject matter area) who didn't read all the time – none. Zero. You'd be amazed at how much Warren reads – and at how much I read. My children laugh at me. They think I'm a book with a couple of legs sticking out of it."

And neither Buffett nor Munger are exceptions to the rule. Legendary GEICO Co-Chairman, Lou Simpson spends 5-6 hours of his day reading. Mohnish Pabrai and Whitney Tilson, two of the most recent generation of successful value investors are also known to read extensively.

So how does adopting the habit of extensive reading benefit your Value Investing performance? The obvious benefits are:

Investment Idea generation: reading will assist you in recognizing global trends that are unfolding and which can be capitalized on.

Learning Value Investing Rationale: As Mark Twain once said:"History does not repeat itself, but it does rhyme." It is highly beneficial to examine and understand the rationale behind the successful investments made by leading Value Investors. Getting into the minds of such investors will allow you to slowly recognize similar opportunities as they arise.

The Habit of Reading is also the secret weapon that allows the Value Investor to:
  • Accurately Assess & Expand one's Circle of Competence
  • Add New 'Tools' to your Mental Toolbox
  • Improve one's ability to perform independent and critical analysis
  • Strengthen one's Investment Conviction: enhancing one's ability and to ignore the experts and the 'consensus crowd' and to develop the courage to adopt contrarian positions.
  • Enhance one's ability to maintain a rational outlook when the rest of the market is losing their heads and operating on pure emotions ('fear and greed').
  • Adopt a Longer-term Investment Horizon and Ignore Short-term market fluctuations.
  • Recognize the Difference between Value and Price.
  • Identify and Embrace Change, and Learn and Adapt

I will discuss most of these in greater detail in future posts.

On a Personal Note:

Those who know me well will tell you that books have always been an important facet of my life and have played a formative role on how I view the world. As a child and throughout high school I read avidly; whilst doing my military service I always carried a novel in my kit; and since entering the workforce I have always carried a book, journal or magazine that I could turn to whilst riding or waiting for the bus or train. I have relocated 3 times – to 3 different continents – and each time the important books ('the keepers') have come with me. I can look at any one of these books and tell you where I bought it (or who gave it to me), when I read it and who recommended it. I seem to surround myself with friends that are also readers, and I especially enjoy sharing the knowledge with them. I absolutely love and appreciate great book recommendations.

On first dates and in interviewing employees I often asked 'candidates' about the books they were currently reading or what books had influenced them. I firmly believe that you can tell much about a person's intellectual curiosity from what they are 'feeding their mind'.

I'll sign off with some advice dispensed by Emerson and highly applicable when one meets a successful Value Investor:

"If we encounter a man of rare intellect, we should ask him what books he reads." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

You can view a comprehensive list of books recommended by Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger here.

Other Quotes of Significance:

"What we become depends on what we read after all the professors have finished with us." - Thomas Carlyle

"If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

"A home without books is a body without a soul." - Cicero

"I have often reflected upon the new vistas that reading opened to me. I knew right there in prison that reading had changed forever the course of my life. As I see it today, the ability to read awoke in me some long dormant craving to be mentally alive." - Malcolm X

"It isn't what the book costs; it's what it will cost if you don't read it." – Jim Rohn

"Learning is the beginning of wealth. Learning is the beginning of health. Learning is the beginning of spirituality. Searching and learning is where the miracle process all begins." – Jim Rohn

"Ignorance is not bliss. Ignorance is poverty. Ignorance is devastation. Ignorance is tragedy. And ignorance is illness. It all stems from ignorance." – Jim Rohn

"What you don't know will hurt you." – Jim Rohn

2 comments:

LisaW said...

Great post as always..

I wonder how the Blog world will change the reading habits of the masses? I guess if there is quality content out there (like this) it will open up many new doors.

cheers

Louie

Avi Ifergan said...

Thanks for the compliment Louie!

Unfortunately 'the masses' do not have access to blog content, an estimated 90% of the world population does not have access to the internet, and approximately 18-20% of the world adult population is still unable to read.

I am forever in awe of the fact that I was born in an age that saw the advent of the internet. I remember the world clearly before it - and it has changed forever. Never before in the history of mankind has there existed such an extent of 'knowledge sharing'.

I would not be able to invest the way I do without access to the internet - the power to learn, research, stay abreast of news, technology and trends - and to share and discuss investment ideas.

It makes you appreciate the Value Investors of old, who used to literally trawl the markets, using Moody's / S&P / ValueLine lists.

It also reminds me how important the cause of Literacy is - raise the level of world education, banish ignorance and empower people, and we might just have a safer and brighter world for our children. That is, unless we cause irrepairable environment damage.